Wednesday, June 10, 2009

There's lots going on now that the season for art shows and exhibits is on us. A friend and I registered for a Black and White Show at the Freeport Square Gallery, Freeport, ME, and delivered our work on a Saturday afternoon a couple of weeks ago. In the morning she brought her photos over and I showed her how to cut mats, and mount and frame her work. She did fine!
Not knowing how long that might take, and wanting to give her all the time she might need, I did my matting and framing a couple of days before. I had one request: could we stop somewhere if we saw a horse farm where the horses were in pastures near enough the road to take a couple of photos, and would she take the photos of me if I stood with my drawing board and pencil, working. This was to go with my bio for another show.
On the way to Freeport we saw a nice horse farm with white fences, stopped and got permission to take the photos. They came out good. She's a good photographer.
Then, off to Freeport. Once our work was checked in, we went to Starbucks, across the street and to the South, a little way, and bought coffee. It seemed as though we ought to celebrate a little, since this is her first-ever show, and it's my first real gallery show in years and years. I hardly ever drink coffee anymore, so there were two milestones in one day.
The Artists' Reception was last Sunday afternoon. We were very pleased with how our things (3 pieces for each of us) were hung. We saw them across the room and to the right, as soon as we walked in! Loved it! The show runs until mid-June.
I believe I may make up for lost time, somewhat, as the next show, the one that requires the photos to go with the bio, is called "Working Artists", exclusively featuring artists who work at a job besides doing their art; who have not received grants or inheritances, or money from spouses or relatives. I qualified for this, and was put into one of the last two available spots. It's just a good thing I didn't second-guess, and procrastinate, and end up completely out of it.
I have been working quite hard on NOT putting things off; being on time wherever I have to be; and not scheduling SO MUCH in a day that I can't possibly get to where I am supposed to be without rushing unbelieveably. Maybe it's working.
The Working Artists show starts the first of July and runs until mid-July. It will be in Hank's Room, at the Kennebunk Free Library. I will love being in this show.
And, in August there is the Saluting Norman Rockwell Small Town America show, held in the Kennebunk Town Hall. Each artist will create a piece that has been inspired by one of Norman Rockwell's Saturday Evening Post covers. Just pick one, be able to say why it is inspiring, and do the artwork in any medium desired. The cover isn't to be copied exactly, but there should be some connection to Mr. Rockwell's original. I'm really looking forward to that as well.
There will be a great Artist's Reception at the Town Hall, too.
Besides all of this, I've been learning more about marketing my work, from a motivational marketer named Robert Imbriale. He isn't your average person-of-this-sort. In fact, I have never heard of a person in this profession who is quite like him. He is direct, very helpful, never pushy, and on top of it all, he is kind. How about that. A very good combination. To hear him, you could go to BlogtalkRadio.com/motivational. Give his one-hour show a try; see what you think.
Also, I follow Jay Bennett's blog. He is in the same health and wellness network marketing company I am in (see my LinkedIn site for information about that). Jay has good advice. I love this company. It's by far the kindest company (can there BE such a thing? Yes there can) that I have ever seen.
I have been using their products for over three years. I feel 20 years younger; my sleep has improved, and so has my energy level; my thinking is clearer, too. There's more, but if I keep on, people will think it's too good to be true.
With all of that going on, there are still plants to set out, in pots and in my small gardens, and the lawn to mow, and before much mowing goes on, it will really be the best idea to rake up all the bits and pieces of little branches from the last minor windstorm. There are still a few from winter, too. I know---but look at what-all has been going on. Add to it, a going-away party for a grandson; a graduation party for a granddaughter; visits from another granddaughter and grandson.....two visits in two weeks! Even before they were married and moved away, to some degree, they STILL lived an hour away and didn't get down here much, since they were in high school, with a VERY long bus ride morning and afternoon, so the second time they were here, we took a trip around the area, visiting pretty spots they had never seen, and they loved it. I'm glad. My grandson, Nick, lives in California now, so he has some new memories of Maine to take back with him.
Add to that, a weeks-long visit from an old friend from Scotland. She stays with her daughter while in the States, every few years, and we've had such fun; I've picked her up and we have gone up and down the coast visiting familiar beaches and harbors, and scouting out new ones, and taking photos, making time along the way for tea and raspberry scones at a little shop, for a lunch together when she first arrived, at her daughter's home. Then a couple of lunches here, with those little rides around the beaches, etc., and each time, toward late afternoon, a movie on DVD here at the house.
The first time it was "Mrs. Palfrey At the Claremont" with Joan Plowright and Rupert Friend, both of whom have received awards for their performances in that movie. The next time, we saw "The Enchanted April"---Joan Plowright, Alfred Molina, and others equally good. Give these movies a look. You'll be glad you did. They're a pleasant change from a lot of what's out there lately. A quiet movie now and then (or maybe even all the time!) is a good thing. Calms us down. Makes us laugh. Lets us breathe and relax. Tea and a treat go well, too.
As for me, I will get calm, laugh some, breathe and relax once I've worked more on the final chapters of my book for young readers (ages 8-12). I like the way it is going, thanks to my instructor at the Institute of Children's Literature. What good courses they put together!
Okay. I'm off to take advantage of it!

No comments: